White House Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh ground turkey
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 (9-ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed, but not dried
- 1 pound low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add ground turkey and cook for about 10 minutes. Add plum tomatoes, tomato paste, and season with salt and pepper; let simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and parsley; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and egg; season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. Place damp spinach in a large skillet over medium heat; cook until wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Ladle 1/4 of the turkey mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; spread to cover. Add a pasta sheet, 1/3 of the mozzarella, 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the spinach mixture, and another 1/4 of the turkey mixture. Repeat process two more times; top with remaining sheet of pasta. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan over top. Line a piece of aluminum foil with parchment paper; spray parchment with nonstick cooking spray. Cover lasagna with prepared aluminum foil, parchment-side down, and transfer to oven. Bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Let stand about 5 minutes before cutting; serve.