Creole Pork Chops & Cornbread Casserole
Fresh ingredients makes this casserole delicious.
- 4 tablespoons shortening, Butter Flavor Crisco, divided
- 8 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 ⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 ⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup bell pepper, green, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes, whole, drained, cut up
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from food.com
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 T Butter Flavor Crisco in large skillet on medium heat. Add 4 chops. Brown both sides. Repeat with remaining chops. Remove from skillet. Set aside. Add remaining 2 T Butter Flavor Crisco, onion, celery, green pepper and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
Combine cornbread, egg and half of onion mixture in medium bowl. Set aside.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf to remaining mixture in skillet. Simmer about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf.
Place 4 pork chops in 3 qt casserole. Spread cornbread mixture over chops. Arrange remaining chops on top. Pour sauce over chops. Cover.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until chops are tender.
You'll also love
- Scones, Mixed Berry 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tagliatelle with Artichokes and... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pork Scaloppine 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Summer Squash Casserole 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Beef, Mushroom and Asparagus Bake 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Beasty Country Style Pork Ribs 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers 4.6/5 (7 Votes)