Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 5 Garlic cloves minced
- dash cayene pepper
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesian cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded colby cheese
- Bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
Saute onion and garlic in 3 tbls butter until onion is carmelized.
Place potatoes, onion and garlic in a medium bowl. In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in heavy cream. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheeses all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds, season with salt, pepper and cayene pepper to taste. Pour cheese over the potatoes and mix until all potatoe slices are covered, pour mixture into baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.