SQUID - Sambal Sotong (Squid cooked in Chilli paste)
- 1 kg of large Squid
- 6 pieces of large red onions (about 500-600 gms)
- 15 pieces of dried chilli
- 2 stalks of lemon grass
- 200 ml oil (about a small bowl)
- 2 t salt
- 1 small piece of belachan or 1t of belachan powder
- Some lime juice
Adapted from foodcanon.com
Prepare the squid. Clean and wash it. Cut it into rings, half a cm thick.
Slice 3 pieces of the onions into rings.
Blend the soaked dried chillies, white bottom part of the lemon grass along with the rest of the onions into a fine paste.
Heat up the wok. Toast the belachan first and add the oil.
Then add the paste and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt and sugar along the way. Taste along the way to get the right balance.
Then add the onion rings. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Add the squid in. Stir. Remove after 2 minutes and plate.
Garnish with coriander leaves, a dash of lime juice and serve it with fresh sliced cucumber and tomatoes.
You'll also love
- Paula Deen's Garden Pasta Salad 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Cinnamon Sugar Apple Noodles 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Tuna Pasta Salad with Dill and Peas 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Thai Coconut Curry Halibut with... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- Baked Breaded Shrimp 3.9/5 (117 Votes)
- Malaysian Style Kam Heong Crab 4.2/5 (44 Votes)
- Octopus - Boiled and Charred 4.3/5 (7 Votes)