Moroccan Kidney Bean & Chickpea Salad
The bold flavors of the lemon-cumin dressing in this healthy bean salad recipe make it a wonderful side dish to grilled beef and lamb, yet it’s also a stellar meatless main when served with whole-wheat couscous.
Nutrition Per Serving
calories 221, fat 12 g (2 g sat, 9 g mono), cholesterol 0 mg, carbs 22 g, protein 6 g, fiber 8 g, sodium 362 mg, potassium 372 mg,
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (62% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (21% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 15-ounce cans dark red kidney beans (see Tip), rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from mobile.eatingwell.com
Sprinkle garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mash with the side of a knife or with a fork to form a paste. Scrape the paste into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, oil, lemon juice, cumin and cinnamon and whisk to combine. Stir in kidney beans, chickpeas, carrot, parsley and mint. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip: Omit mint, cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Stir in mint just before serving.