Carrot and Cauliflower Puree
Make it Ahead Cookbook by Ina Garten, 2014
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1-1/2 lbs. carrots, unpeeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 oz. salted butter
- salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Add 2 tbsp. salt to water and the cauliflower. Boil for 20 min. until very tender. Remove to a bowl using slotted spoon or strainer.
3. Add carrots to the boiling water & cook 20 min. until very tender. Drain carrots and add to cauliflower.
4. Place a food mill fitted with the medium disc over a large saucepan and process the vegetables into the pan. (I use my food processor. But it has to be done in batches. You might try mashing with a potato masher and then blend in your Vitamix. Or just use the Vitamix...you want this to be very smooth.)
5. Melt the butter in a small saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the milk solids in the pan turn golden brown. Watch carefully because it will turn black very quickly.
6. Whisk the butter plus 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper into the vegetable puree.
7. Reheat over low heat and serve hot.
Note: You can prepare this dish completely and refrigerate it for up to 4 days. (When I do this I reheat in the oven.)