Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 cups cooked rice (you can use white rice, brown rice, etc...)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2-cup diced yellow bell pepper
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4-cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2-cup mixture of both shredded cheddar and white cheddar, for topping
- dollops of low fat sour cream (optional)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from diethood.com
1.Preheat oven to 375.
2.Place halved bell peppers in a lightly greased baking dish and set aside.
3.Prepare the rice according to the directions on the package. You will need about 2 cups prepared rice.
4.In the meantime, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-heat.
5.Add onions and cook for 1 minute.
6.Stir in chopped peppers and season with salt and ground pepper; continue to cook for 3 minutes or until peppers are tender.
7.Add broccoli florets and cook for 2 minutes, or until broccoli is fork tender.
8.Remove from heat.
9.Place cooked rice in a large bowl.
10.Add broccoli mixture to the rice.
11.Stir in milk, cheddar cheese, white cheddar cheese, chili powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and parsley; mix until thoroughly combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
12.Divide mixture evenly between peppers, packing the mixture tightly into the hollow pepper shells.
13.Bake for 20 minutes.
14.Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese; bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
15.Remove from oven and let stand few minutes.
16.Top each pepper with a dollop of sour cream and serve.
Serving size: 1 Stuffed Pepper-Half Calories: 295 Fat: 15.8 Saturated fat: 8.1 Carbohydrates: 26.3 Sugar: 4.5 Fiber: 2.7 Protein: 12.2