Atkins Park's Shrimp and Grits
Be sure to have all your ingredients ready to go (and the grits prepared) before you put the shrimp in the pan. It cooks quickly.
Chef Andrew Smith prefers Logan Turnpike Mill brand grits for their creaminess and flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion. halved lengthwise and
- thinly sliced.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Taylor Cream Sherry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Logan Turnpike Mill's Stone Ground Grits
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Logan Turnpike Mill grits
- l/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and a dash each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized to a golden brown,
about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Increase the heat to high and add the shrimp. Cook for 30 seconds, then turn shrimp and add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic
and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the shrimp is mostly pink, then add the cream sherry (be careful of flare-ups). Reduce the sherry by half, about 1
minute, and add the butter and parsley. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over Logan Turnpike Mill's Stone Ground Grits.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the milk and water. Stir in the grits. Skim any debris that floats to the surface. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce the
heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grits thicken (45 minutes to 1 hour). Stir in the cream, butter, salt and pepper. Add more water (or milk) to reach desired consistency.
You'll also love
- Potato Salad with Green Beans,... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate and Black Bean Chile... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Haleiwa Smoked Tuna 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Ahi Tuna & Crab Tower with Avocado... 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- P.F. Chang's China Bistro Shrimp... 4/5 (1 Votes)
Review this recipe