Slow Cooker White Bean Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 lb. carrots
- 4 stalks (1/2 sleeve) celery
- 1 lb. dry navy beans*
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika $0.05
- Freshly cracked pepper (15-20 cranks of a mill)
- 1 1/2 tsp (or more to taste) salt
1. Mince the garlic, dice the onion, slice the celery, and slice the carrots into thin rounds. Add the olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots to a large (5qt or larger) slow cooker.
2. Sort through the beans and remove any debris or stones. Give them a quick rinse and then add them to the slow cooker, along with the bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and some freshly cracked pepper.
3. Add SIX CUPS of water to the slow cooker and stir to combine the ingredients. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or on high for 4-5 hours.
4. After 8 hours, stir the soup and mash the beans slightly. Starting with just a ½ tsp, add salt to your liking. I used about 2 tsp total, but keep tasting and adding more, ½ tsp at a time, until it reaches the level that you prefer.