Tasty Beef Chili with Liver
Original recipe from Kayla Grossman of Radiant Life. I adapted the recipe as follows: instead of dessicated liver powder, I used 1/3 lb of beef liver that I had rinsed then puréed to a paste in my Vitamix. The entire family raved about the chili...they did not suspect that there was liver in it...and no one tasted it! Next time I will use 1/2 lb of liver. I also added 1 can of kidney beans that had been drained and rinsed. I also used 1 red pepper in place of one of the green peppers because that is what I had. I served this chili plain, with cauliflower rice, and with cooked cabbage. It was so good each time! It also freezes well. This was really a great recipe that I intend to make over and over.
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock (I used homemade bone broth)
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes or 10-12 whole tomatoes, diced (I used canned)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional) (I did not use)
- 1 tablespoon red palm oil or ghee (I used Palm oil)
- 2 large green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 tablespoons desiccated liver powder (I used beef liver as explained above)
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional for extra heat) (I did not use this)
- Unrefined salt and pepper to taste
Melt oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent. Add mashed garlic and beef (and puréed liver), and cook until meat is browned, crumbled and done all the way through. Add desiccated liver (if using) and spices, tossing to combine evenly. Pour in stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and wine if using. Simmer for about one hour.
Can be served with diced green onions, cilantro or avocado for garnish as desired. Enjoy!