Red Beans & Rice Soup with Kielbasa
What a recipe. Found in a cookbook magazine, and changed it up a little,
We were sorry that it was all gone, If you like rice & beans, you are going to love this
- Creole Seasoning for this recipe:
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ring of beef kielbasa
- 3 links of chorizo
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Creole seasoning (see following)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) red kidney beans
- 1 small bag fresh spinach, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 4-6 okra sliced
- In small bowl combine:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. In large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add sliced kielbasa & chorizo
(both cut length wise down the middle and then sliced 1/4" thick slices)
and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove meat to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add onion and cook until tender. Add pepper and salt and cook for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic and creole seasoning and cook stirring for 1 minute.
4. Return meat to pot along with chicken broth and 1 cup water and simmer 5 minutes.
5. Drain 1 can of beans and rinse. With fork, mash beans.
6. Add mashed beans, and other can of beans (drained), along with rice.
7. Continue to cook, covered until rice is tender (add more broth is getting too thick)
8. Add okra at this point. If you add too soon, they will cook down and yu will only have the little white seeds.
9. Add spinach and simmer till tender.
This soup should be thick but should have liquid. So if getting to thick please add either water or broth to make a soup like dish.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.5/5 (397 Votes)