Lentil Barley Soup
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 med carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 med fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes, undrained
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
In Dutch oven saute the onion,green pepper and garlic in butter until tender.
Add broth, carrots, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 min
Add chicken barley and mushrooms; return to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 min or until the lentils, barley and carrots are tender.
Add tomatoes; heat through.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.4/5 (148 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean Salad with... 4.4/5 (128 Votes)