Fresh Strawberry Pie With Shortbread Crust
- 1 (5 oz) package shortbread cookies
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 TBS cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 lb fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Whipped cream for serving
Adapted from recipes100.com
1. Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.
2. Pulse cookies in a food processor to fine crumbs, then pulse in sugar and butter until combined. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9" pie plate. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
1. Select 20 large strawberries as close to the same size as possible and set aside. Dice remaining strawberries into 1/4" pieces and toss with sugar and lemon juice. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Drain berries in a sieve set into a large glass 4-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. Transfer liquid to a saucepan and reserve berries.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over strawberry liquid and let soften 1 minute. Bring to a bare simmer, stirring until gelatin has dissolved. Add diced berries, then transfer to a metal bowl set into an ice bath and stir frequently until mixture begins to mound, 20-30 minutes.
3. Spoon 1/2 cup filling into piecrust and arrange reserved whole berries, stem ends down, onto filling. Spoon remaining filling over and between berries. Chill pie until filling is set, at least 4 hours.
Serve with whipped cream on top.
Makes 8 servings (slices). Each serving = 5 Weight Watchers points.