Slow-Cooker Indian Spiced Chicken with Tomato and Cream
Craving Indian food? This spiced chicken with tomatoes and cream is easy to make in your slow cooker. Serve topped with yogurt and mint over rice with a side of naan.
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 6 chicken legs (drumsticks with thighs; about 3 pounds)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/4” thick
- 3/4 cup canned tomato purée
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Plain yogurt, torn fresh mint, and naan, flatbread, and cooked rice, for serving
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 505mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Heat ghee in a large Dutch oven over medium. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook chicken, skin side down, until golden brown (do not turn), 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a 4–6-quart slow cooker.
Place onion, garlic, and ginger in same pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft and golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Add tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, and cardamom and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste is beginning to darken, about 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add broth, potatoes, tomato purée, and cream to slow cooker, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Cover and cook until potatoes are tender and chicken is falling off the bone, 7–8 hours on low or 4–5 hours on high.
Remove skin and bones from chicken, if desired, and return meat to slow cooker; season stew with salt and pepper.
Divide stew among bowls, top with yogurt and mint, and serve with naan, flatbread, or rice.
Do ahead: Stew can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.
You'll also love
- Tortellini with Mushroom Alfredo... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Fresh Berry Salad with Arugula and... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Citrus-and-Ginger-Roasted Chicken 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken, Rice and Zucchini... 4.1/5 (38 Votes)
- Abuelo's Papas con Chile (potatoes) 3.6/5 (96 Votes)
- Duck Fat and Cracklings 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pecan-Topped Carrot Pie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Italian Pork Chili with Polenta 4.5/5 (6 Votes)