Potato Soup Loaded
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (reserve about 2 tablespoons of crumbled bacon for garnish)
- 11 tablespoons butter (about 2/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 7 cups milk ( I used a combo of whole milk and 1%, use whatever you have on hand)
- 4-6 potatoes, baked peeled and cubed (I typically cook them in the microwave to speed the process along)
- 4 green onions, chopped plus additional for garnish
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, whisk in flour and allow the mixture to cook for a few minutes.
Slowly add in 7 cups of milk, 1 cup at a time, whisking really well between each cup.
When all 7 cups of milk have been added, continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken a bit.
Add in cubed baked potatoes and green onions, then bring to a boil making sure to stir frequently.
Reduce the heat to low, then stir in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper.
When the cheese has melted serve immediately. Garnish each bowl of soup with additional cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, and chopped green onion.
This recipe typically serves 4-6