Black-Bean Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (white meat only)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 corn tortillas
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, breaking up the meat, until white throughout, 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chile powders and the cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 cup of water; bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 45 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, light a grill or heat a grill pan. Grill the tortillas over moderate heat until soft, 30 seconds per side; wrap in a towel.
Season the chili with salt and pepper and serve with the grilled tortillas.