Truffled Wild Mushroom Lasagna
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- 7 cups cremini mushrooms (about 1 1/2 lbs), divided (4 cups / 3 cups)
- 4 cups sliced shitake mushroom caps (about 1 lb)
- 2/3 cup Cotes du Rhone or other fruity red wine
- 1 TBS fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 TBS fresh sage, chopped
- 3 TBS white truffle oil
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 TBS butter
- 3 1/2 TBS flour
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 TBS grated lemon rind
- Cooking spray
- 8 oz pre-cooked lasagna noodles
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek, garlic, and salt; sauté 2 minutes. Add 4 cups cremini mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and begin to brown. Stir in wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in thyme, sage, truffle oil, and pepper.
2. Combine milk and bay leaf in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium high heat to 180F or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard bay leaf. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 3 cups cremini mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add flour, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until thick. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Combine ricotta, parsley, lemon rind, and black pepper in a bowl. Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture in bottom of an 11 x 7 glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over sauce; top with 2 cups mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan. Arrange 3 noodles over cheese. Top with 1 cup ricotta mixture. Repeat layers once with 3 noodles, 2 cups mushroom mixture, 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 3 noodles, and 1 cup ricotta (dish will be very full); spread remaining sauce over top. Cover with foil; place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; increase oven temperature to 450F. Uncover the lasagna, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and remaining 1/2 cup parmesan; bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving = 10 Weight Watchers points.