Gumbo is one of the simplest and most satisfying ways to prepare fish. It’s a particularly nice way to use frozen walleye.
- To serve four . . .
- 1/2 lb. bacon, diced
- 1 c. each onion, celery, green pepper, and red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. each white pepper, thyme, and oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne (or to taste)
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced on a bias 3/4 inch thick
- 1 lb. fish, cut in one-inch cubes
Adapted from thefoodchannel.com
Sauté the bacon and reserve. Heat the bacon fat until it just begins to smoke, then add an equal amount of flour, whisking until the mixture (roux) turns the color of a brown paper bag. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, cayenne, white pepper, thyme, oregano, reserved bacon, and chicken broth. Cook gently for 15 minutes.
Add the smoked sausage and fish. Simmer gently for about seven minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with cooked white rice.