Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is a rich and intensely flavored soup. Though not as thick as others, it's flavor more than compensates.
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 3 leeks, light green and white part, finely diced
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 20 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 1 tsp. Thyme, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
1. In heavy bottomed pot, sauté the bacon over medium heat until crisp and all fat has been rendered. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve for another use (or munch while you make the soup). Reserve the fat in the pot.
2. In the reserved bacon fat, add the diced leeks, and sauté until softened and beginning to lightly brown, about 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and butter and sauté until the mushrooms give up their liquid and then become soft and browned, ~10 minutes.
4. Raise heat to high and add Marsala. Stir, scaling up the browned bits. Boil slowly until reduced by half.
5. Add thyme and stock, bring to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Add cream, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Using an immersion blender, blend soup to desired smoothness. Taste, and adjust seasoning.