Pan-Roasted Chicken with Harissa Chickpeas
- Ingredient Info:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup harissa paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Harissa, a spicy North African red chile paste, is available at Middle Eastern markets, some specialty foods stores, and online.
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from BON APPETIT.COM
Preheat oven to 425°. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. drippings from pan. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until beginning to darken, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas, harissa, and broth; bring to a simmer.
Nestle chicken, skin side up, in chickpeas; transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes. Top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.