Slow-Cooker Chicken and Okra
slightly modified from http://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/slow-cooker-chicken-okra/
- 4 bone-in chicken thigh
- 4 drumsticks
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, preferably organic, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, sliced (French cut)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 bell peppers any color, or 4 cubanelle peppers, cored and sliced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 285mins
Adapted from healthyseasonalrecipes.com
1.Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side. (Note: The chicken will not be cooked through.)
2.Transfer the chicken to the insert of a slow cooker. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reducing heat to medium as necessary to prevent scorching.
3. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the skillet. Add garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often until the vegetables are just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker.
4. Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato and olives, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Pour tomato mixture over the onions.
5. Add peppers to the slow cooker and cover.
Turn slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4. In last half hour of cooking, remove lid and layer okra on top. Cover and let continue to cook the remaining 30 minutes.
To serve gently remove chicken pieces to pasta bowls. Stir the vegetables together. Ladle the vegetable mixture around the meat and top with a generous amount of parsley.
You'll also love
- Asian Style Chicken Strips with... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Chicago-Style Italian... 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Fried-Chicken Fried Rice With... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Recipe 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Pie for Two 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Pan-Roasted Corn and Okra 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Pickled Okra 3.7/5 (9 Votes)