Sausage and lentil casserole
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 8 beef sausages
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 4 rashes bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 cups (750mls) chicken stock
- 4 tomatoes (or 1 tin), chopped
- 1/2 cup of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 115mins
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook sausages, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to an ovenproof casserole dish.
2. Add onion, bacon and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add lentils. Stir to coat in onion mixture. Add bay leaves and stock. Bring to the boil. Pour lentil mixture over sausages. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
3. Add tomatoes to casserole. Cover. Cook for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from oven. Discard bay leaves. Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Note: Can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Microwave on medium (50%) for 10 - 15 minutes stirring 3 times or until heated through.
You'll also love
- Roasted Veggies, Bacon, and... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Glazed Turnips and Parsnips with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Tarragon Beef Stew 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken Bratwurst and Onions with... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pork and Pink Bean Soup with Corn... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Ginger Snow Pea Pods 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Sausage, Cabbage & Root Vegetable... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Madras Lentil Curry 4.3/5 (4 Votes)