Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread)
These thin, crisp Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread) cookies flavored with ginger, cloves, and cinnamon are addicting! The aroma of these baking will put you in the holiday spirit.
- 7.9 ounces plain flour
- 2.1 ounces unsalted butter
- 2.6 ounces light muscavado sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 18mins
Cream the butter and sugar together then bit by bit add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cream until the dough has formed. It's quite a dense and sticky dough so took a while for it to all come together.
Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour but up to a day.
Preheat your oven to 170°C/350°F (fan oven).
Roll the dough until about a millimeter thin - I found that as the dough is so sticky (and didn't want to use any extra flour), rolling it between sheets of cling film worked really well!
Cut out pieces of dough using your favorite cutters.
Bake for between 6 to 8 minutes until the edges start to brown and cool on a baking rack.
Leave plain or decorate using your favorite icing recipe.
You'll also love
- Fiery Shrimp Quesadillas 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Make-Ahead Buttermilk Pancakes 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pots de Crème with... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Biscoff & Pumpkin Spice Spritz... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Mom's Molasses Applesauce Cookies 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies 4.4/5 (9 Votes)