Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated stevia extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Adapted from bethanny.com
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, ricotta, milk, almond milk, agave nectar, applesauce, sour cream, and egg yolks. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sweetener, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be slightly bumpy.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
3. Heat a medium skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and coat it with cooking spray. Working in batches, drop 1/3 cup of batter per hot cake into the skillet and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Then flip the hotcakes and cook through. Repeat with the rest of the batter, making 8 to 10 hotcakes.