K's Fabulous Cheesy Shrimp & Grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular grits (I used stone ground)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese, divided (4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded colby & monterey jack cheese (4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 T. Olive Oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz. smoked turkey sausage, diced into med.size chunks
- 1-1/2 lbs fresh shrimp, peeled
- Creole Seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350.
Bring 4 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring often.
Stir together grits, 3/4 cup Cheddar jack cheese, and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
Mix olive oil and 2 T.butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add shrimp and sprinkle with desired amount of Creole Seasoning; cook a few minutes until almost done; remove from skillet. In same skillet saute green onions, bell peppers, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender; remove. Heat remaining T. of butter and add smoked sausage; sauté until lightly browned; remove.
Stir together green onion mixture, grits mixture, sausage, shrimp, diced tomatoes, salt & pepper.
Pour into a lightly greased 2-3 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar jack cheese
Bake for about 40 min. Let stand 10-15 min.