Slow-Cooker Bacon, Smoked Cheddar and Egg Casserole
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories530 ( Calories from Fat290), Total Fat33g (Saturated Fat16g, Trans Fat1/2g ), Cholesterol285mg Sodium890mg Total Carbohydrate30g (Dietary Fiber1g Sugars3g ), Protein28g ; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A25%; Vitamin C15%; Calcium25%; Iron15%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 2 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 10 cups cubed French or ciabatta bread (about 12 oz)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 9 eggs
- 2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1 lb thick-sliced bacon, cooked, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 275mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
1. Heat oven to 300°F. On large cookie sheet, spread bread cubes. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until dry.
2. Line sides of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with foil that has been folded into thirds; spray with cooking spray.
3. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until tender.
4. In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half and pepper flakes with whisk. Reserve 3/4 cup cheese; set aside. Stir in remaining cheese, the bacon, bell pepper and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Fold in bread cubes; stir to coat. Spoon mixture into slow cooker.
5. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or on High heat setting 2 to 3 hours or until temperature reaches 160°F in center and egg mixture is set.
6. Sprinkle reserved cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley over top. Cover; cook about 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove foil before serving by loosening edges with table knife.