- 10 large sweet onions, such as Walla Walla, Vidalia, or Maui
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 495mins
Adapted from popsugar.com
1. To prep the onions, trim the stem end, cut in half lengthwise through the root, and peel each half. Leaving the root end intact, cut each half lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices.
2. Trim to remove the root.
3. Scatter butter in the bottom of a 6-1/2-quart electric slow cooker. Add the onions and sprinkle the thyme over the top. Place the lid on the slow cooker, set the cooking mode to high, and set a timer for 2 hours.
4. After 2 hours, stir the onion mixture. Set a timer for 6 hours, continuing to cook on high.
5. After 6 hours, turn the power off, remove the cover, give the onions a stir, and let cool in the ceramic insert for 1 hour.
6. Ladle the onions into the jars through a wide-mouth funnel, dividing evenly. Cool completely and then cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
*Makes two 6-cup (1-1/2 liter) jars of butter-braised onions.