Cherry almond ricotta drop scones
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fat-free buttermilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4.5 ounces whole-grain pastry flour (about 1 cup)
- 3.4 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine cherries and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute; let stand 5 minutes. Drain; discard liquid. Finely chop cherries.
3. Combine ricotta cheese, 1 tablespoon sugar, rind, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture. Add 1/3 cup buttermilk and canola oil to remaining ricotta mixture, stirring until smooth.
4. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cherries and almonds; toss. Add buttermilk mixture; stir just until combined.
5. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Combine egg and remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk, stirring with a whisk. Gently brush top and sides of dough with egg mixture. Bake at 425° for 15 to 16 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool slightly on a wire rack.
6. Beat the reserved ricotta mixture at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy. Serve with warm scones.