Salad with Figs and Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- Sea salt
- 6 slices of bacon (5 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 crisp apple, such as Honeycrisp or Fuji—halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 cups mesclun greens
- 3 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 pound small, seedless dark grapes, halved
- 4 fresh figs, cut into wedges
In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the apple cider vinegar and whole-grain mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon slices over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Break the bacon into pieces.
In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the apple and cook over moderate heat until lightly golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the hazelnuts and cook until deep golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Arrange the greens on a platter. Top with the apple, hazelnuts, cheese, grapes, figs and bacon. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.