Nana Carol's Old Fashioned Potato Soup
This recipe is at least 100 years old. So, no cilantro, truffle oil, etc. It has been a favorite in our family for years.
- 6 Large Potatoes peeled cut in large dice
- 2 Large Onions diced
- 1 Lb bacon diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Milk
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Boil potatoes and celery with water twice as high in the pot. Separately, dice and cook bacon.
2. Saute onions in bacon grease and strain. Add bacon and onions to pot and simmer.
3. Mix eggs and salt. Slowly add flour to egg mix while stirring. You want to add until you get thickness of cookie dough. These will make dumplings that will also thicken the soup. My family varies on size, here are a few techniques; 1) roll dough into a 1/2" rope and cut half inch pucks, 2) roll into balls, 3) pull or cut into irregular pieces. This could be fun job for the kids. At any rate, toss them in to bowling pot gradually so they don't clump together.
4. Add milk and and simmer to thicken, about 1/2 hour.