Sugar Cookie Christmas Tree
Decorating cookies is a must during the Christmas season. This sugar cookie recipe is a classic that can be passed down through generations. Happy Holidays!
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- Decorative sprinkles
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoons warm water
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 49mins
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined.
Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Using desired tree-shaped cookie cutters, cut out dough.
Place about 1 inch apart on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until the edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.
Transfer to a wire racks and let cool. Frost with Royal Icing and decorate with sprinkles.
Stir together powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the 1/4 cup warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes until very stiff. Add the 1 to 2 tablespoons additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make desired consistency.
You'll also love
- Marriage Meatloaf 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Zucchini Noodles, Carrot Top... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Cranberry Avocado Salad 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Anise Drops - Tea Cookies 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- No-Bake Kentucky Bourbon Ball... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Pecan Pie 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Banana Oat Dog Treat Cookies 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Trios Christmas Cookies 4.8/5 (4 Votes)