Spiced Cashew Brittle & Chocolate Crunch Bark
Spicy and sweet are a winning combination with these confections. Spiced cashew brittle has a kick while the chocolate bark has a sweet crunch.
- 1 1/2 cups whole raw cashews
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies or feuilletine
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the cashews on a small baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes, stirring once. Keep the cashews warm.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with buttered parchment paper.
In a saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup, butter and water to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until a deep amber toffee forms, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Whisk in the baking soda and cayenne; it will bubble up. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the warm cashews.
Pour the hot candy onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it as thinly as possible.
Let cool completely, then break into large shards.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, melt two-thirds of the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate reaches 130°.
Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate until melted and the temperature drops to 85°.
Return the bowl to the saucepan and warm the chocolate to 90°, stirring.
Remove from the heat. Fold in the Rice Krispies.
Spread the mixture on the parchment in a 1/4-inch-thick layer.
Let harden completely, then break into large shards.
You'll also love
- Warm Artichoke Olive Dip 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken and Brisket Brunswick Stew 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3) Low Carb Pumpkin... 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Crab and Artichoke Dip 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Easy Two Ingredient Microwave Fudge 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Vegan Cookie Dough Truffles 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Peanut Brittle 4.6/5 (16 Votes)