Mac and Cheese Grilled Cheese with Bacon Two Ways
- 4 cups Easy Mac and Cheese, recipe follows
- 8 slices country white bread, buttered
- 4 slices American cheese
- 8 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, cooked
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch slices, optional
- Hot sauce, such as Frank's, optional
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounce processed cheese, such as Velveeta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp yellow Cheddar
- Splash hot sauce, or pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
Evenly spread the Easy Mac and Cheese in an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Cut the mac and cheese into 4 equal-size squares.
Preheat a griddle over medium-low heat. Place each mac and cheese square on a slice of bread, top with 1 slice American cheese and 2 slices bacon. Top with a second piece of bread and griddle the sandwich until golden and warm, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve.
For the adults, toss the tomatoes in some hot sauce and add on top of the bacon before griddling your sandwich.