Creamy Cauliflower & Split Pea Soup with Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 31/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
- (about 1/2 large head)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning, or to taste
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Sauté shallots and celery for 5 minutes or until shallots are soft. Add stock or broth, split peas, cauliflower, salt, lemon-pepper seasoning, and saffron. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes or until peas are tender.
2. Meanwhile, toast hazelnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, or toast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Add 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts to soup during the last 10
minutes of cooking.
3. Purée soup until smooth using a hand blender or in batches in a blender or food processor. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with
Make ahead and reheat, adding extra water or broth as needed, or throw ingredients in a slow cooker and set to low for three to four hours.