French Onion Supper Soup
I've tried MANY others. but always come back to this simple one (found in the fundraiser cookbook "Homemade With Love" by the employees of the now defunct Chas. A. Stevens (Chicago) store.
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (I use butter)
- 4 cups vegetable OR beef stock (beef)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 thick slices of french bread
- 4 oz. swiss or gruyere cheese, sliced (swiss)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a covered saucepan cook onions and garlic in butter over low heat 20 minutes or until tender; stir occasionally.
Add stock and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast bread.
Top each toast with sliced cheese; sprinkle with parmesan.
Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
Ladle soup into 4 bowls.
Top with a toast slice.