Quinoa Salad with Dried Cranberries and Apricots
Fruity flavours marry exceptionally well with the graininess of the quinoa.
- Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from freshjuice.ca
Using fine mesh sieve, rinse quinoa well. In small saucepan, combine quinoa with 1½ cups/375 mL water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 18 minutes or until quinoa is translucent and all of the water has been absorbed.
2. Remove pan from heat; fluff quinoa with fork. Gently stir in cranberries, apricots, green onions, salt and pepper. Let cool for 20 minutes; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
3. For vinaigrette, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice and ginger. In thin steady stream, gradually whisk in olive oil. Whisk in salt and pepper.
4. Gently toss salad with Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette until well coated.
Tip: Later in the summer, substitute about 2 cups/500 mL wild or cultivated blueberries for the dried cranberries and apricots.