Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
- 7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
Adapted from alexandracooks.com
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (904 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)