Caramelized Apple Ginger Rice Pudding
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup diced candied ginger
- 4 cups milk, divided
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the apples and cinnamon and sauté until browned and caramelized, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the salt, sugar, ginger and 1 cup of the milk. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until almost all of the milk has been absorbed. Add another cup of milk and repeat with the stirring and cooking until almost entirely absorbed. Repeat with the remaining milk, 1 cup at a time, or until the rice is cooked through and the mixture is creamy.
3. Serve warm and, if desired, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.