Spinach Enchiladas with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach or 4 bunches fresh spinach, cooked
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 10 -12 flour tortillas
- Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in a small amount of cold water
- 3 cups chopped cilantro
For enchiladas, cook the spinach according to the package directions, if using frozen.
While spinach is cooking, combine garlic, onion and mushrooms in food processor, and process until coarsely chopped.
Melt butter in sauté pan, and sauté onion mixture until onion is translucent.
Remove pan from heat, and set aside.
Drain spinach, squeezing out excess water.
Make bread crumbs in food processor from sliced bread.
Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder and eggs.
Process until blended thoroughly.
Transfer to mixing bowl, and stir in onion mixture and 6 tablespoons cheese.
Spoon a portion of filling onto each tortilla and roll it up.
Place each enchilada in casserole dish, seam side down.
Repeat until you've used up filling.
For cream sauce, mix half-and-half, cayenne, salt and a little of the dissolved corn starch in medium saucepan, and heat until thickened.
The sauce should be creamy, not runny; add more cornstarch mixture as necessary.
Off the heat, stir in cilantro.
Pour Cilantro Cream Sauce over tortillas, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Broil until cheese melts and turns a nice golden color.
You'll also love
- Smothered Pork Chops 4.5/5 (56 Votes)
- Blueberry Cake Bars 4.4/5 (64 Votes)
- Baked Tilapia with Garlic Butter 4/5 (144 Votes)
- Better than Fries Baked Potatoes 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Queso Spinach Bacon Dip 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
Review this recipe