Lemon on Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Traditional shortbread infused with lemon zest and topped with lemon icing combine in our Lemon on Lemon Shortbread Cookies.
- SHORTBREAD RECIPE:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup butter
- Lemon Icing (recipe follows)
- Coarse decorating sugar, optional
- LEMON ICING:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vanilla
Adapted from midwestliving.com
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and lemon peel.
2. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Knead gently until dough comes together and forms a ball.
3. To make wedges: On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Make a scalloped edge. Cut circle into 16 wedges. Leave wedges in circle (do not separate).
4. Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until edges start to brown and center is set. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack.
1. In a small mixing bowl stir together sugar and lemon juice. Stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing is of drizzling or piping consistency.
2. Drizzle over wedges. Sprinkle with coarse decorating sugar, if you like.
3. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months