Steak with green peppercorn sauce
- 2 tsps green peppercorns, packed in brine
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 beef filets or NY Strip steaks (1/2 lb each)
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Rinse and drain peppercorns and set aside
2. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet. When it starts sizzling add the beef filets and saute on high heat for 5 minutes. Salt to taste, turn filets and cook another 5 minutes. (if you prefer your steak rare, cook 3 minutes on each side).
3. remove skillet from heat, add cognac and return to heat. Ignite very carefully with a kitchen match to flambe. When flame dies down add cream and peppercorns. Cook for 1 more minute, turning filets once. Serve on individual plates topped with sauce.