- 1/3 cup of butter, softened
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons of finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted pistachio nuts (6 ounces)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Milk of lemon juice
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 191mins
1. Line an extra-large cookie sheet or 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in the 4 teaspoons of lemon peel and as much of the floor as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and nuts.
2. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each portion into an 8-inch-long loaf. Flatten loaves to about 2-1/2 inches wide. Place at least 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet(s).
3. Bake in a 375˚F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops are cracked. (Loaves will spread slightly.) Cool on cookie sheet fro 30 minutes.
4. Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Cut each loaf diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on the same parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake in a 325˚F oven fro 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 8 to 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.