Summer Chickpea Salad
- 2 – 2 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt, rounded
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (see note)
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut in bite-size chunks
- 1 cup avocado, cut in bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup torn/chopped basil leaves
- 1-2 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
Adapted from plantpoweredkitchen.com
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice (starting with 2 tbsp), maple syrup, dijon, salt, and lemon zest (if using). Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado, olives, spinach, and basil (and chives, if using). Toss through, gently so not to break up the avocado too much. Taste, and if you’d like more lemony tang, add the extra 1/2 tbsp of juice. Season as desired with more salt or with some pepper. Serve!
Chickpea Note: I like the firmer texture of chickpeas in this salad. If you’d like to try another bean to replace chickpeas, try cannellini beans.
Avocado Note: If not serving straight away, store in the fridge in a covered container. Note that the avocado in this salad will oxidize slightly after several hours, this salad is best eaten the same day. If you want to make ahead, add the avocado just before serving.
Idea: Want to add a little crunch to this salad? Top with 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or chopped pistachios or walnuts!
Serving Suggestion: Serve over a bed of greens alongside grilled potatoes with Cashew Cheese!