Four Onion Soup
Mellow, rich tasting onion soup topped with toasted French bread and melted cheese
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 medium leek (white portion only)
- 5 green onions with tops
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon butter (or marg.)
- 2 cans (14.5oz ea) beef broth
- 1 can (10.5oz) beef consommé
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick) toasted
- 6 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Slice all onions 1/4 in. thick.
In a 3 qt saucepan over medium-low heat, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
Add broth, consommé, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg: bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Swiss cheese in the bottom of 6 ovenproof 8-oz, bowls.
Ladle hot soup into bowls.
Top each with a slice of bread.
Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese if desired, Broil until cheese melts