Garlic Scape Soup
- Garlic Scape Soup
- 1 lb of garlic scapes, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 quarts broth (chicken or veggie)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: other veggies and herbs
Adapted from thefoodchannel.com
Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Add the minced scapes and saute for about 5 minutes to soften. Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper, then add broth. Bring to a simmer, cover and adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender enough to mash with a wooden spoon, about 25-35 minutes.
Mash the potatoes into the broth, or puree in a food processor, then reheat. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
Consider adding other veggies and herbs. Dark leafy greens or your favorite root crops will fit right in!