Cheesy Garlic Stuffed French Bread
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, about 22 inches long, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and olive oil. Add the onions, parsley, garlic, Essence, lemon juice, pepper sauce, and salt and combine with a rubber spatula.
Spread a large sheet of heavy aluminum foil on a work surface and place the 2 French bread halves in the middle. Spread the mixture evenly over both halves of bread. Cover the bottom 1/2 evenly with the cheese and top with the other 1/2. Wrap together in the foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the crust is hard and the filling is gooey, about 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, unwrap, and cut into 2-inch thick slices.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup