Linguine With Clam Sauce
- 1 pound linguine (or spaghettini)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces chorizo diced
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons thinly-sliced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pound Little Neck clams scrubbed, and purged in water
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup finely-grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the cooking liquid. Cover and set aside.
In a large, heavy saute pan or medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, salt, and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and clam juice and cook for 1 minute.
Add the clams, cover, and shaking occasionally, cook until the clams open, about 5 minutes. Discard any unopened clams. Add the cream and lemon juice, stir well, and simmer for 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and parsley, and toss to coat. Divide among serving bowls and top each portion with cheese. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.