Shrimp Summer Rolls
- 2 ounces mung bean noodles or cellophane noodles
- 1 piece fresh ginger - (abt 2") peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon halved
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 large shrimp peeled, de-veined
- 2 teaspoons Essence (see Bayou Blast recipe)
- 8 round rice paper wrappers - (8 1/2" dia)
- 8 small romaine lettuce leaves rinsed, patted dry, 1 ribs removed, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 ounce alfalfa or radish sprouts
- 32 fresh mint leaves
- 32 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 large carrot peeled, shredded
Put 2 cups hot water in a large bowl and add the noodles. Soak them until softened but slightly resilient, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain them and pat dry on paper towels. Put in a bowl and cover.
Combine 4 cups water, the ginger, lemon, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Season the shrimp with the Essence and add to the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes, and then remove the pan from the heat and allow the shrimp to sit in the hot liquid for 2 minutes, or until cooked through. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the water and let cool.
When the shrimp are cool enough to handle, cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Fill a large bowl with hot water. Place a clean kitchen towel next to the bowl. Submerge 1 rice paper wrapper in the water and soak it until softened, about 1 minute. Carefully remove the rice paper from the water and lay it flat on the towel.
In the center of the sheet, layer 1/8 of the soaked noodles, 4 lettuce pieces, about 20 sprouts, 4 shrimp halves arranged side by side in a row, 4 mint leaves, 4 cilantro sprigs, and 1/8 of the carrots. Pull the bottom up over the filling, fold over the sides, and roll up like an egg roll. Place seam-side down on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining rice papers and filling. Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
This recipe yields 8 summer rolls.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (140 Votes)