Shrimp Stock II
- SACHET CONSISTING OF THE FOLLOWING:
- 2 1/2 pounds shrimp shells
- 2 1/2 quarts cold water plus
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon roughly-chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup mushroom trimmings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 4 parsley stems
Rinse the shrimp shells under cold running water and place them in a 1-gallon stockpot with the remaining ingredients. Bring the pot to a boil and then lower the temperature to a simmer. Skim the impurities that rise to the surface with a ladle, spoon or a skimmer. Simmer the stock for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
When the stock is completed, strain the stockpot and immediately cool the stock using an ice bath of water and ice. Use the amount of stock you need, and refrigerate or freeze the rest.
This recipe yields about 2 1/2 quarts.