Chicken: Sesame Chicken with Broccoli Stir-fry
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, room temperature (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces shredded sharp orange cheddar cheese, room temperature (about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
1. In a medium bowl whisk together 3 Tbsp. of the soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 2 tsp. honey. Add cut-up chicken, toss to coat, then marinate for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade with a slotted spoon. Discard the marinade.
2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok heat 2 tsp. of canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken at a time for 6 minutes until browned and cooked through, turning once or twice. Transfer to a large serving plate. Heat 2 tsp. canola oil to cook remaining chicken. Transfer to serving plate.
3. In the same skillet heat the remaining 2 tsp. canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the white parts of onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. For sesame sauce, in a small bowl whisk together broth, remaining soy sauce, remaining honey, the cornstarch, vinegar, and chili paste until cornstarch and honey are incorporated. Add sauce to skillet. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened and darkened in color. Stir in remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil.
4. To serve, pour sauce over chicken. Surround chicken with steamed broccoli. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion tops. Serve with brown rice, if desired.
5.Make it vegetarian Use 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth and extra-firm tofu instead of chicken.
6.Make it gluten-free Use gluten-free soy sauce.
7.For less spice Remove portions before adding chili paste to remaining portions.